Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day 2006


My mommie. We share quite a special bond. Her love surpasses all others. It is stronger, longer, wider, deeper than any other human's. God is the only one who's love is bigger. This mother's day is unique for us. It is our last mother's day together. What do you do when you know that it is the last day that you will celebrate her mothering while she is still alive? My husband and I went to Hallmark the other day to get a mother's day card for his mom. I didn't even plan on looking for one for mine. I started reading the cards and couldn't help but think about my mom and how this is it. This is the last one. One of my good friends showed up and she said, "But you never know when she'll have a moment of clarity. And it could be that moment." So I treked through the cheesy, funny, lame, and heartless cards to find a soft, gentle, and appropriate card. I know she won't be able to respond much to the card when I read it to her, but I know she still hears me. And I know that I won't be able to read it to her without balling my eyes out. But I also know that reading/crying her that card will be a special moment that I will treasure forever.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

(((HUGS)))

Sissy

Anonymous said...

dearest amber ~ i love you so much! i am crying now as i read your post. i wish so much that i could be there to give your mom a hug, and you too, and melinda. this has been such a difficult journey, but you have all handled it with such courage and dignity. please tell your mom that i send my love, and i wish peace and comfort for her. you are all in my constant thoughts and prayers. let me know if there is anything i can do.

love ~ morgan

Anonymous said...

Amber,
What a wonderful picture of you and Cheri. Cherish if forever. She is a very special lady to so many. We love your family dearly. You all are in our thoughts and prayers daily. I'm so glad you purchased her a card, I know she heard you reading to her.
Stay strong and know we are a call away at anytime.
Love,
Dianne

Amber said...

Thank you Morgan and Dianne. Morg, I know that you would be here if you could. I will pass on your love to Mom. Miss Dianne, thank you for loving Mom, too. She really enjoyed your friendship!

Mom did understand me when I was reading her the card. She didn't say anything, but she nodded and squeezed my hand when I asked her about it. I'm glad I got her the card.

Shannon said...

I so wish I could be there right now. I love your mom like my own and she has done so much for me. Last night I dreamed that I was sitting on the floor of her office talking about my problems and she was helping me decide what to do. I never qustioned that she loved us all and she was always so proud of you! Kiss her for me and know that you are both in my prayers!
I love you!

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I can possibly respond to that post with words that could help or confort you, because I know that I don't know what it's like to be in your shoes. Just know that I love you and I'm here for you if you need anything.

You're in my prayers.
Much Love,
Amanda